We are seeking to hire a Senior Scientist with a background in aqueous geochemistry, marine geochemistry, biogeochemistry or a related field, as well as extensive experience in field and laboratory experiments, to lead an upcoming field trial of Coastal Enhanced Weathering in Duck, NC, USA.
Various aspects of the role will involve project development and execution including, but not limited to, fieldwork, laboratory studies, research synthesis, data interpretation, scientific writing, science communication, stakeholder engagement (e.g. community members, NGOs, governmental officials, regulators, media), partnership relations (e.g. academic collaborators) and project management. This individual must thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary environment while simultaneously contributing to multiple projects.
This is a 2-year position and will be located in Duck, NC, with the option to extend following that time at Vesta’s other global locations. We are seeking a PhD-level candidate but will also consider post-master’s candidates with an exceptional track record and directly relevant research experience.
For competitive candidates with spouses or partners, we are willing to explore potential employment options for them at Vesta. A scientific background is not required.
- Conducting hands-on, field-based research in coastal oceanography with an emphasis on seawater and porewater geochemistry including carbon, nutrient, and trace metal cycling.
- Assisting in the day-to-day management of fieldwork operations, including overseeing a small team of field technicians, academic collaborations, and government partnerships.
- Analyzing geochemical, biogeochemical, and physical data and helping to develop predictive models for olivine weathering and carbon sequestration.
- Providing thoughtful and evidence-based insight to the project team about how to advance our mission in an ethically and scientifically robust manner.
- Contributing to research and funding proposal writing.
- Reporting progress and results to the greater Vesta team, other researchers, regulators, community members, and industry partners.
- Presenting at conferences and workshops relevant to the project.
- Assisting with the coordination of research activities and actively contributing to research outputs in order to meet project milestones.
The ideal candidate can easily fulfill the responsibilities of this position described above and has the following qualities and experience:
- A deep sense of dedication to combating the climate crisis.
- Ability and passion to learn quickly and solve challenges independently and creatively.
- A commitment to harmonious and productive collaboration.
- Professionalism under all circumstances.
- Meticulous attention to detail in planning and procedure.
- Enthusiasm for the Vesta mission and ethos.
- Dedication to fair and equitable treatment of all individuals on the team.
- Excitement and enthusiasm to assist in meeting the challenges of running a first-of-a-kind field pilot experiment, including developing relevant protocols and methods as required.
Required Skills and Experience
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Oceanography, Biogeochemistry, Geochemistry, or a related discipline.
- US citizen
- Experience planning and conducting fieldwork, including boat-based activities.
- Proficiency working with and organizing datasets.
- Strong scientific writing skills in English.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in the following areas: fieldwork, (bio)geochemistry, analytical geochemistry.
- Experience in team management.
- Experience in project management.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience with marine pore water and/or sediment geochemical analysis.
- Experience in fluid dynamics or geochemical modeling.
- Experience performing high-precision measurements of carbonate geochemistry.
- Experience in small boat handling.
- Commercial or Technical Diving Qualifications. Experience with ADCI and OSHA compliant dive operations.
- Experience operating and maintaining in-situ sensors.
- Contribution to at least one or more peer-reviewed publications.
- Ability to travel for brief periods of time (1-2 weeks) a few times (2-3) per year.
M.S. or Ph.D. in Oceanography, Biogeochemistry, Geochemistry, or a related discipline.
Hiring is contingent upon clearing a criminal background check and pre-employment drug screen.
Vesta offers a competitive salary with benefits. Information available on request.
Vesta is an Equal Opportunity Employer: We celebrate diversity and demand equal opportunity employment. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills- because reversing climate change is going to require a diverse and unprecedented workforce. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
To be considered for this position, please submit a resume and a cover letter telling us more about yourself. Vesta will not consider applications submitted without a cover letter.